Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A good day, gun fit, gauges and loads



My Brother John and I had a good day about a week before Thanksgiving.  I gave him a call Thursday evening to see if he was free the next day and, if so, if he'd like to go hunting.  I knew he had been working 4 ten hour days some weeks, but wasn't certain if this was one of them.   I don't usually hunt Saturdays and like for him to have an opportunity to hunt with Sunny, since he had helped me train her as a pup.  Turns out he was off Friday and up for some bird hunting, so off we went.  We headed to a State Game Lands in Armstrong County where we sometimes hunt pheasants and grouse.  We did not encounter any grouse that day, but both got our 2 bird limit of Ringneck roosters.  While I won't say we didn't have any misses, I was proud of our shooting, which I felt was pretty impressive overall.  We set up the above I-phone photo to commemorate our day.

Guns that fit are guns that hit

Both John and I have made adjustments to our shotgun stocks to make our shooting more instinctive and consistent.  John made his "home made" adjustment to his Winchester pump years ago after realizing that he was consistently shooting too high and missing birds by shooting over them.  He determined that his stock was too short and did not have enough "drop" to line up his eye with the rib when the gun was shouldered.  Being a resourceful and self-reliant guy, he fashioned a wooden spacer that also dropped his recoil pad a little.  He immediately started shooting better, and is one of the most consistent wingshots that I know, especially when using his "custom fitted" gun.

I started hunting with a 20 gauge over/under last year.  I liked carrying the smaller, lighter gun (compared to the 12 gauge that I had been using), but was pretty inconsistent with it.  When I decided to pattern it at the beginning of this season, I found it a real challenge to get my pattern down to center it on the paper.  I was shooting considerably too high.  Rich at Economy Gunsmithing, Inc. (724-266-0232) watched me mount the gun a few times, then installed an adjustable butt plate/recoil pad, after first shortening the stock so the length of pull would not be changed.  In this case, too, my shooting immediately got better.

Our "customized" stocks


John had a good idea of just what he needed, and seems to have nailed it right off.  My gun can be adjusted by removing the pad and loosening and re-positioning the plate with an allen wrench.  When I picked it up from the gunsmith, I felt that it looked like too much adjustment.  He had the pad dropped considerably and the bottom of it kicked out a little away from my shoulder (toe out I believe this is called).  I brought it to my shoulder and, to my delight and surprise, it seemed perfect!  Shooting it showed that I was hitting a lot more consistently than before but hitting a little low, so I made a tiny adjustment and it now seems just right.  Somewhere I read or heard that you should make 2-3 fine tuning adjustments at most then throw away the wrench, so you aren't tempted to keep messing with it.  Seems like good advice.  Sometimes missing is just missing, your fault, not the gun.  Set it and forget it.  Thinking about it (or thinking about anything, for that matter) is the enemy of instinctive wingshooting.  Use the force, Luke!

A lot of people seem to keep trying different shotguns in search of that magic one that they will shoot well, or dreaming about getting a stock custom made to their dimensions.  Neither approach is within my financial reach, nor, I'd imagine, that of a lot of other folks.  If you are fortunate enough to have a gun that fits you well, that's terrific.  If not, It is not that tough or expensive to get the stock that you have shortened, lengthened, or otherwise modified to your needs.  John even did it himself - and more hitting is a wonderful thing!

Gauge, Chokes, Loads, etc.

Several years ago I started shooting clays with a group of work friends.  I was consistently the worst, or at least one of the worst shooters.  I determined to change that and started getting out to practice more.  While practice did not "make perfect", it certainly helped, and I made the leap from "poor" to at least "decent", though erratic or inconsistent could also apply.  As I became more interested in shotgunning, I began to read and research in an effort to enhance my performance and enjoyment.
I read a lot about chokes, gauges, types of shot, etc. and tried to pursue a policy of "doing and using what is best.  After considerable time, effort and experimentation I've arrived at the following conclusion:

Good shooting trumps everything.

Everything I read advised that the use of more open (Imp. Cyl., skeet, or even cylinder) chokes would increase your chances of hitting by allowing more "margin of error", especially at shorter ranges and that the harder shot in premium quality (read expensive) ammunition was a big advantage.  I don't doubt that either of these things are true, it is just that neither is anywhere near as important to the simple act of hitting rather than missing than basic good shooting.

The two most consistent wingshooters that I have the good fortune to hunt with are my friend Ben and my brother John.  Ben shoots a vintage Fox 16 gauge side by side with double triggers.  For reasons of personal ergonomic preference and long term habit he shoots the rear trigger full choked barrel first.  He rarely misses, even on close shots.  John hunts with an improved cylinder choke in his gun and I have seen him kill birds with #5 shot at distances that I would have thought would be out of range.

Choke selection can have a real impact on "how" you hit.  A full choke hit at close range can be quite dramatic, for instance. Whether or not you hit seems to me much more a result of how you handle the gun than anything else.   A good shot can make long shots with an open choke because even though the bulk of the shot spreads wide, there is still a relatively tight cluster in the center "core" of the pattern to do the work.  Obviously, this same "being ON" allows a good shooter to hit at close range with a tight choke.

Good shooting is far more important than what choke or shot quality you put in your gun, or even what gauge it is.  Shoot poorly, or incorrectly and it won't matter what you use.  When I rush my gun mount and shoot without bringing the stock up tight to my cheek as I often do (a flushing bird still causes me to go to pieces!) I miss.  Sometimes I empty the gun and watch a bird fly off unharmed, still well in range, so I know that I rushed my shots unnecessarily.  Taking a moment to get it together and calmly and correctly bring the gun to your cheek is far more important than any decisions that you might make concerning choke and load.  I've learned that taking my time and "cheeking" rather than "shouldering" the gun first makes a big difference.  Think of it as bringing the gun up to your cheek (and therefore your eye) rather than planting the butt into your shoulder then trying to get your head down onto it.  The gun should hit your shoulder last, not first.

I believe that having a gun that fits you and shooting it correctly makes gauge (except for .410) almost irrelevant.  I 've been getting more birds hitting them with a 20 gauge than I did missing them with a 12 gauge!

No comments:

Post a Comment